It’s a new year which means 37 Cooks is back in action! Even though the past few months have been extremely busy with moving to NYC and starting my Dietetic Internship I have missed these fun recipe challenges, and I am happy that this first event is sponsored by one of my favorite brands, Bilinski’s.
If you aren’t familiar with Biliniski’s they are a family owned and operated company that specializes in chicken sausages (with no pork casings!) since 1929. Their products are made from every day ingredients, gluten-free, preservative-free, antibiotic-free, nitrate and nitrite free, all meat is raised in clean, comfortable conditions, no animal by-products in their feeds, and no hormones…but are full of flavor! These sausages are fully cooked and are also low in fat, so you need to be careful to not over cook them.
I wanted to create a healthy and hearty dish that incorporated ingredients that would compliment the flavors in the new Kale Balsamic chicken sausage! Since moving here and not having an income I have tried to stretch my food dollar even further than before. One way I’ve found to do this is to create dishes that incorporate a lot of delicious and healthy ingredients that are filling and re-heat well…you could serve this dish to a family of four or if you are in a similar situation as myself, have leftovers for a few days (I promise it re-heats very well). Feel free to change-up the ingredients as you see fit. The Kale Balsamic Sausage and all vegetables used in my recipe were organic (I have strangely found that the organic items are cheaper than non-organic in the stores around me).
I know many of you are looking for healthier recipes to get this year started. Sometimes the word “healthy” is translated into “unsatisfying” or “bland”, but it doesn’t have to! Healthy can be (and should be) delicious, flavorful, hearty, filling, and all those other good things that you are craving. Try using a new ingredient each week to expand your horizons in the “healthy” department: try millet instead of rice one week. Using seasonal vegetables and fruits in dishes also means additional flavor.
Warm Millet Salad with Kale Balsamic Chicken Sausage
- 1 Cup Millet
- 2 Cups Organic Chicken Broth
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil divided
- 1/4 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Package of Bilinski’s Organic Kale Balsamic Chicken Sausage, sliced into 1/4″ rounds
- 1 1/2 Cups Diced Organic Sweet Potato
- 1 Cup Diced Organic Baby Bella Mushrooms
- 1 5oz Container of Organic Baby Kale
- 1/4 Cup Organic Dried Cranberries
- 2 Tablespoons Pine Nuts
Method of Preparation
- In a small pot bring the chicken broth to a boil.
- Add millet, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes or until all water has been absorbed
- Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil to a large skillet and brown the sausage on both sides
- Remove the sausage from the pan and set aside in a large bowl
- In the same large skillet, add 1/4 cup water and bring to a boil
- Add in sweet potatoes and cook until tender or until water has evaporated
- Reduce heat to medium and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to pan
- Add in mushrooms and cook until browned
- Next, add in the pine nuts, and brown lightly
- In a bowl whisk together the remaining olive oil and balsamic vinegar
- Add 1/2 of the mixture to the pan with the sweet potatoes, mushrooms, and sweet potatoes
- Once the vegetables have been coated with the olive oil and vinegar, add in the dried cranberries and kale
- Cook until kale has begun to wilt (about 1-2 minutes), remove from heat
- Once the millet has finished cooking, add it to the bowl with the sausage
- Add the remaining olive oil and balsamic vinegar mixture to the bowl with the warm millet and sausage, toss to coat well
- To the same bowl add the cooked vegetables, toss to incorporate all ingredients and serve
Want more information on Bilinski’s? Find them here: