Bryan loves cornbread, and so don’t I but he loves it way more than I do. Over the past year I’ve made him a few batches of the Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Corn Bread Mix, which he has grown to like. It’s a great mix and the closest thing I have come to the real thing. To him it will never be the same and I get it but thankfully he likes it enough to eat it and even ask me to make it.
Today I thought I would get up early and make him some “breakfast cornbread”. I opened up a package of the Bob’s Red Mill mix, fried up some bacon, defrosted some frozen corn kernels, grabbed some shredded cheese and brought all the other ingredients to room temperature (per the package instructions) and started mixing away. I have to say for an experiment they came out pretty darn tasty!
1 Package of Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free CornBread Mix
6 Strips of Bacon (check package to make sure its Gluten Free)
1/3 Cup of Frozen Corn Kernels – defrosted
1/3 Cup of Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Mix according to package instructions.
- Cook bacon until nice and crispy, but not burnt and then set aside on paper towels to drain off some of the grease.
- After bacon is drained a bit chop it up into good size pieces (You want to be able to see and taste the bacon in the muffins).
- Mix in the chopped bacon, corn and cheese into the pre-mixed batter.
- Scoop cornbread mixture into pre-greased (I use a spray) muffin tins and bake according to package (about 20-25 minutes at 375 degrees) until the tops are a light golden brown.
I made some scrambled eggs to go on the side, but honestly these are pretty filling and are great for breakfast on the go. They came out nice and tasty and full of flavor! You can add more cheese if you want, or even adding some chopped green onions would be a nice addition to the flavors already going on.